Becoming a Site
We are excited to be working with Durham County's Local Government, Durham’s Partnership for Children, Durham Public Schools, Durham Head Start and numerous other community partners to expand access to high-quality preschool classrooms to Durham’s four-year-olds.
As part of the new Durham PreK investments, Durham will:
- improve quality in preschool programs by funding a variety of quality improvement activities, including paying for coaching and professional development for teachers;
- support higher wages and compensation for those teachers by paying higher reimbursement rates than currently available for NC Pre-K;
- expand access for four-year-old children by paying for new spaces and by increasing eligibility guidelines to include most families; and
- offer a mixed-delivery system of preschool for four-year-olds by partnering with high-quality child care programs in the community, Durham Public Schools and Head Start.
RFA Now Open!
How do you become a Durham PreK Site?
The 2022-2024 NC Pre-K and Durham PreK RFA is now OPEN! You can find the NC Pre-K Application and the Durham PreK Application Addendum below.
We are pleased to announce the release of the NC Pre-K Application and Durham PreK Application Addendum for the 2022-2024 school years. These applications were developed collaboratively-- all programs applying in this application cycle must apply to both NC Pre-K and Durham PreK with supporting documents to be considered for either or both programs. Please read below for application instructions.
All Applying Programs
- Required to submit the NC Pre-K Application and its supporting documents.
- Required to submit the Durham PreK Application Addendum and its supporting documents.
- Intent to Apply due November 5, 2021 - emailed to Jameka Wells, NC Pre-K Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org and to DPK at email@example.com
- Technical Assistance Sessions held virtually - November 9, 2021 from 9:30 am to 11 am or November 10, 2021 from 12 pm to 1:30 pm. Attendance to one is required to submit your application. Registration link will be sent out a week prior.
- Electronic Completed application, application addendum and supporting documents due by December 16, 2021 by 4 pm - emailed to Jameka Wells, NC Pre-K Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org and to DPK at email@example.com
- Submission of completed paper application, application addendum and supporting documents BY APPOINTMENT ONLY on December 21, 2021 and December 23, 2021.
How are classrooms chosen?
A nonconflicting committee reviews all submitted applications using a scoring rubric based on NC Pre-K Standards and Durham PreK Standards and Policies.