Welcome to Week 2 of Learning at Home with Durham PreK!
This week, we are excited about our 3 lessons from Durham PreK teachers!
Today, we read "Caps for Sale!" by Esphyr Slobodkina with Ms. Sutphin from The Whitted School!
Thank you MacMillan Publishing for allowing us to share your stories with the Durham Community.
Did you like this book? Find it online here: https://www.scholastic.com/teachers/books/caps-for-sale-by-esphyr-slobodkina/ or look to see if your local library offers it online.
Here are some activities to pair with the book if you want to continue the story!
1) Create a scene from a favorite 'monkey' story (write and illustrate)
2) Make a monkey paper bag puppet
3) Create different types of caps and hats (related to careers or just for fun!)
1) Learn the name and value of different coins (up to 50 cents) - How many pennies (nickels, dimes, quarters) would it take to make 50 cents?
1) Learn about real monkeys!
1) Play a 'Monkey See, Monkey Do' game. Place all student names in a cap. Pull out one name card and let the student stand in front of the class and perform an action. Then let all other students chant, "Peddler, peddler, who do you see?" The 'peddler' or student in front chants back, "I see monkeys______ing just like me!" Then all students (monkeys) begin copying the peddler's actions a set number of times!
1) Make and eat banana treats